"Received the basic cat house & insulation on the date promised. It is FABULOUS, really, really nicely made. I highly recommend your product
A note from one of our happy customers!
Our Basic Outdoor Cat Shelter is designed for and tested by cats. This is a simpler version of the original Outdoor Cat House,
and was designed for those who want a no frills "Basic" Outdoor Pet House.
Features of our Basic Outdoor Cat Shelter
- Design has been cat tested and refined over the past 10 years.
- Two Plexiglas windows allow sunlight in, keep weather out and let your cat keep an eye on things.
- Roof removes easily for access and cleaning, stays securely in place with bungee cords looped under the side window awnings.
- Doorway, 5 1/2" wide by 7 1/2" high, allows cats to come and go, but keeps larger animals out.
- Inside dimensions: 21" x 15" x 14" high.
- Outside dimensions: 22" x 20" x 15" high.
- Small enough to allow your cat's body heat to warm the interior, optional insulation makes it even warmer!
- Optional insulation package:
Foil-lined R 7.2 insulation reflects heat back into the house, and is installed on the floor, front, back and roof, which is then covered with mahogany plywood. The insulated floor is removable
for cleaning, the other insulation panels are permanently installed. More information on insulation.
- Environmentally conscious 'green' manufacturing processes:
- Locally sourced materials reduces carbon footprint from transportation.
- House is designed to efficiently use every bit of a 4 x 8 foot sheet of paneling with no waste.
- Small pieces from the window and door cut outs are used to make the breezeway and the foundation pads.
- Built to last!
- Add the optional exit only back door for a quick escape and better ventilation. Adds a 2nd exit while increasing the safety to your cat. Because
it is "Exit Only", it allows your cat an escape door but prevents entry from outside the house. Small magnets hold the plexiglas flap in place to prevent wind entering the house. This
Back Door can also be left open to help add ventilation during the summer months. The door measures - 5 1/2" wide, by 7 1/2" high.
- Add the optional breezeway with clear Plexiglas window for even more protection from the weather.
- Add the optional platform to raise the house and breezeway 16" off the ground.
- All wood construction allows the house to breathe.
- The walls and floors are adhered with nails and strong, clear adhesive caulking to strengthen the structure.
- Every house is detailed by hand, sealing all cracks and crevices to protect your cat and the house itself from wind, rain and snow.
- Floor is 1/2" wood with 1/2" foundation pads on the corners for air flow and vapor space beneath the floor.
- Panels painted with Val-Spar Floor and Porch Paint. External trim finished with a high grade wood sealer.
- Engineered for solidity, security, and weatherability.
- Colors: Outside is painted a dark gray, trim is natural wood.
- Comes with a cozy fleece blanket.
- Flat roof doubles as a sundeck!
- Weighs 34 lbs.
- Also suitable for very small dogs.
- No assembly required.
- Ships directly from the manufacturer via UPS Ground.
- Satisfaction guaranteed.
- Free Shipping to the Lower 48!
Careful consideration needs to be given as to where your pet would most like his or her new house. Here are some questions you can ask yourself
and some ideas to think about:
- Is there a particular spot where your cat likes to sleep?
- Which door do you most often use to let your pet in and out?
- When waiting for you to come home, what door does your kitty like to wait beside?
- Is there a space your kitty would like to wait for you, but can't because of inclement weather?
- Does your kitty seek high places to sleep, even when there appears to be a more comfortable place somewhere else? Maybe you can place the house
up on a table or a shelf.
- Maybe your cat would like to have his or her house in a place where you can be seen during most of the day.
- Though they are designed to withstand the elements, our outdoor cat shelters are always best placed under an awning or overhang, or in a similarly
- For the longest life, there are two places to avoid putting your new cat house:
- Directly on the dirt or grass
- In continuous contact with standing moisture
Should you get the insulation package?
Looking for something a little more stylish? Check out our Outdoor Cat House with optional insulation, breezeway, and second
- The insulation package is designed to make the house warmer in the cold weather, it will not cool it in hot weather.
- If you live in a warm climate where it is above freezing year around, you should not get the insulation.
- If you live where it gets down to freezing or below in winter, then hot in the summer, you should get the insulation package.
- Tips for hot summer weather:
- Remove the insulation from the floor during the warm weather. This will give your cat a cool floor to lie on.
- Heat rises, so in warm weather you can place a wedge between the top of the house and the bottom of the roof to provide a vent which allows air to leave through the space left open between
- The optional back door is great for increasing air flow - be sure you leave it open during the hot weather.
- Put the house in the shade if possible.
- When it gets warm outside, most cats will move onto the roof. When it gets cold again, then they will move back inside. This is why our houses are designed with flat roofs, so your cats
can still enjoy their house in the summer.
Or, see all our cat houses on one page!
Interior view (above) with optional insulation package. The foil-lined R 7.2 insulation reflects heat back into the house, and is installed on
the floor, front, back and roof, which is then covered with mahogany plywood. The insulated floor is removable for cleaning.
Interior view (above) without optional insulation. All panels are made of cladwood, a superior exterior grade wood product which has a wood grain
look on the outside, and a smooth, finished, easy to clean surface on the inside.
A fleece blanket adds to your cat's comfort, and is included with all our cat houses.
This exit only back door" adds a 2nd exit to our outdoor cat house and increases the safety of your cat. Because it is "exit only", it allows your cat an escape door but prevents
entry from outside the house. Small magnets hold the plexiglas flap in place to prevent wind entering the house. This back door can also be left open to help add ventilation during the summer
months. The door measures - 5 1/2" wide, by 7 1/2" high.
The Breezeway (an optional add-on) with its clear Plexiglas window (shown above) gives extra protection from wind and blowing rain or snow.
if your large breed cat will fit? The orange cat inside the bungalow at left weighs about 22 pounds. Now, he did squeeze through the doorway because he is so round but when a cat wants inside
the house, they will get in! We have had Maine Coons move in when their owners were doubtful. To this day we have not had a cat who could not fit.
Do you need shelter for two cats? Add a second story with the Duplex (shown above, left with the optional breezeway) -- purr-fect!
(Duplex also sold separately)
The Duplex is designed to sit on top of the base house, and the two are secured together with bungee cords, the same way the roof is secured. The floor is designed to fit inside the lower house
structure, and it has a hole so your pets can visit and play between naps. There is an insert to fill the hole if you prefer to keep the spaces separated (shown above, right). The Duplex comes
with a second fleece blanket, so both stories have a soft, cozy surface.
Not sure if you want a Duplex? You can always add it later!